Being charitable is something we do. Many years ago, Global Connections formed the Committee of Awesomeness (COA) to further acts of kindness by our staff. In 2016, the COA organized seven events resulting in over $2,000 in cash, plus supplies and food donations.
From school supplies to cold hard cash, Global Connections cared to give a little to help a lot in these fun-filled events:
- Cupid’s Valentine Deliveries for Hope House.
- March Madness Basketball Bracket for the National MS Society.
- Flapjack Friday for Jene Emerson’s health fund (a vendor of Global Connections).
- Red Nose Day to lift kids out of poverty.
- Hot Dog Games for Project Walk KC.
- Ice Cream Social School Supply Drive for Hope Leadership Academy, KS and Oak Ridge High School, FL.
- Beer Friday Chiefs Raffle and Bingo Tournament for the United Way of Southeast Louisiana.
The COA isn’t the only way Global gave back in 2016.
- Beso Del Sol and Sea Shells Beach Club hosted supply drives for those affected by Hurricane Matthew.
- The Orlando Sales and Marketing office collected pop tabs for Ronald McDonald House.
- The Clearwater, FL office sent care packages to Global Kids in the military and made and delivered snack and toiletry bags to the homeless.
- Global Connections raised money and food donations for Harvesters, gave food to Safe Home, donated new toys to the Marine Corps’ Toys for Tots, and collected Blankets for Boscoe as well as adopting a family for Don Boscoe Center.
What’s more, our employees gave of themselves, literally, in two Red Cross blood drives. And employees participated in Earth Day events promoting going green to save the environment.
That’s a whole lot of caring Global Connections! Thank you to all who participated throughout the year.
If you’d like to join the Committee of Awesomeness in 2017, be sure to come to the first meeting in January. An email invitation will be sent after the first of the year. Anyone can join the committee that plans charitable teambuilding events for Global Connections, and satellite offices are encouraged to participate.
Florida Office Spreads Happiness to the Homeless
Right before Thanksgiving, the employees in the Global Connections Clearwater, Florida, office made the day a little bit brighter for others by making and giving out care bags. With the amazing climate, Florida is a mecca for homeless Americans and our coworkers seem them every day.
“We have a lot of homeless near our office so we thought it would be great to do something for them before the Thanksgiving holiday,” shares Heather Love, Administrative Assistant. “We have about 20 we see on a daily basis. It’s heartbreaking to see and personally I feel like they just need to know that people do care and want to help.”
Global employees donated the items to make about 35 bags. Half of the bags were snack bags, filled with granola bars, juice boxes, gummy fruits, peanut butter and crackers. The other half were toiletry bags filled with socks, first aid kits, lip balm, combs, deodorant, toothbrush, toothpaste, band aids and soap.
Those who received the care bags were very receiving of their kindness. Some asked them for clothing such as shoes and coats. So the Florida office is collecting blankets, coats and clothing to handout before Christmas.
“I wish we could help year round but Thanksgiving is about being thankful, being with family and some of them don’t have anyone or are estranged from their families,” Heather said. “We all felt it was a great way to give back and warmed all of our hearts to be able to help this year.”